Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Voting Overseas

Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) is responsible for administering the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA). This Act requires that states and territories allow most U.S. citizens to register and vote absentee in elections for Federal office. Citizens eligible to vote include:

  • Members of the Uniformed Services (including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard)
  • Merchant Marine
  • Eligible family members of the above
  • Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, and Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • U.S. citizens employed by the Federal Government residing outside the U.S.,
  • All other private U.S. citizens residing outside the U.S.

Not sure if you qualify?  Click here for more information.

Voting in the 2016 U.S. Elections

Your vote counts! Did you know that many U.S. elections for house and senate have been decided by a margin smaller than the number of ballots cast by absentee voters? All states are required to count every absentee ballot as long as it is valid and reaches local election officials by the absentee ballot receipt deadline. Click here for more information.

Absentee voting and registration

Absentee voting and registration is accomplished through the use of the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), which can be obtained from the consular section.  Additionally, all states allow you to download a blank FPCA directly from the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

Still have questions? Check out the Frequently Asked Questions concerning absentee voting.

Please visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) for further information, including the Voting Assistance Guide. The Guide provides information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program, including a chapter on State Absentee Registration and Voting Procedures, which gives the requirements, state-by-state, for voting and the procedures for filling out the FPCA. The site also has a list of primary dates in each state and other information of use to U.S. voters.

Denial of right to vote

Any person who believes that he or she has been wrongfully denied the right to vote should follow the procedures outlined in the Voting Assistance Guide. Alternatively, contact the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C. 20520.

Important Information:  

  • Apply in good time – at least 45 days before the election.
  • There are no facilities to vote at the Consulate.