Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Visa Processing at U.S. Consulate General Curacao

Last updated: January 2016

Most Dutch citizens traveling on business or tourism for less than 90 days do not require a visa.  For information regarding visa-free travel, see the details of the Visa Waiver Program.  

If you do not qualify for the Visa Waiver Program or are traveling to study, work, or participate in an exchange program, you will need a Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV).

Non-Immigrant Visas

The U.S. Consulate General in Curacao processes most categories of Non-Immigrant Visas.  For information on applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV) to the United States, please read the information found on our NIV information pages.  You may also wish to consult the Visa Information Service FAQs.

IMPORTANT You can schedule an interview for free on the Consulate’s Visa Appointment System.  You must have a completed DS-160 application with a confirmation sheet and barcode before making an appointment.  If you encounter any problems with using the Visa Appointment System, please send an email with details of the event/s to

If you are a student, traveling to the U.S. for business, or have a medical emergency, please email for an emergency appointment.  Please clearly indicate your need for an emergency appointment.

 The U.S. Consulate General Curaçao only interviews applicants who meet one of the following requirements:

  • Hold a Dutch passport.
  • Are renewing a multiple-entry U.S. visa valid for at least one full year that is either still valid or expired less than one year ago.
  • Are legally resident in Curaçao, Aruba, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, St. Eustatius, or Saba for at least ten years.  Applicants must bring proof of legal residency in the Dutch Caribbean to their visa interview.
  • Legal residents of the islands, regardless of their length of residency, who are applying for student and exchange visitor visas: F visas (degree-granting schools), J visas (exchange visitor programs), or M visas (vocational schools).
  • Children under the age of 18 whose parent(s) have a valid multiple-entry U.S. visa. 

Applicants who do not meet the new requirements above; are first-time visa applicants with less than 10 years of residency; or are applying for an E, H, or L visa (regardless of citizenship or previous visas) must apply at the consular section of another U.S. Embassy or Consulate worldwide. Applicants are no longer are required to apply in Caracas, and can choose from convenient locations including, but not limited to, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Panama,  Venezuela, Colombia, Jamaica, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago.

Immigrant Visas

Immigrant visas for permanent residency in the U.S. are handled by the U.S. Embassies in Caracas, for residents of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, and Bridgetown, for residents of St. Maarten, Saba and St. Eustatius.  If you are interested in permanent residency in the U.S., please see our Immigrant Visa page or consult the website of the appropriate U.S. Embassy.

Last update January 2016

Travel & Tourism in the U.S.

  • Tourism Badge

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.