Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Passport Renewal for Children under 16


Please follow the instructions on this page if:

  • The applicant is under the age of 16; and
  • You can submit the child's most recent passport with the application.

Application Requirements

Please bring the following: 

  • The child's most recent United States passport;
  • Any foreign passport that the child may currently hold, have held, or been included in;
  • Any name change documentation: If the child's name has changed since the most recent passport was issued, you will be required to furnish name change documentation. Please follow this link for additional application requirements;

  • Passport application form DS-11:  Form DS-11 must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do NOT print this form on front and back of the same sheet. For tips on completing the DS-11, follow this link;
  • Two identical passport photographs: The consular section will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements. Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable;
  • Fees: The application fee is U.S. $105.00 or the equivalent in Nafl. Accepted payment methods are: 
    • Cash (only if you are applying at the consulate on Curacao); or
    • Cashier's Check, negotiable in the U.S. to the exact U.S. dollar amount made payable to "U.S. Disbursing Officer."  This is the only method of payment that can be accepted if you are applying during one of our visits to the other islands.
    • Note: The Consulate cannot accept personal checks. Cashier's Checks must have been issued within the last 5 months.
  • A self-addressed, prepaid commercial courier waybill to have your documents returned to you once processing is completed;

Two Parent Consent

All children under the age of 16 are required to appear in person with both parents for all passport services.  If only one parent is able to attend, please see "Application by One Parent" below.

In addition to the requirements listed above, you will be required to submit the following:

  • Parents' photo identification: Parents accompanying their child to the consulate must submit their valid U.S. or foreign passports. These will be returned to you.
  • Proof of parentage:
    • Certified U.S. state birth certificate with parents' names; or
    • Certified foreign birth certificate (with parents' names and translation into English, if necessary); or
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents' names); or
    • Certification of Birth Abroad (with parents' names); or
    • Adoption decree (with adopting parents' names); or
    • Court Order establishing custody; or
    • Court Order establishing guardianship.

Note: If your name is not the same as your child's last name or the name listed on your proof of parentage, you must submit documentation that will link your names or link you to the child (marriage/divorce certificate, court order);

Application by One Parent

If only one parent is able to appear, one of the following will be required in addition to all requirements above:

  • Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) completed by the absent parent must be notarized before a U.S. or local Notary Public. The notary must place his/her official seal upon the document. American Embassies and Consulates abroad can also notarize Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent). In addition to the Form DS-3053, the absent parent will be required to submit one of the following:
    • Valid U.S. or foreign passport or a good notarized photocopy of the identity and signature pages; or
    • Valid driver's license; or
    • Valid military ID; or
    • Valid U.S. government ID; or
    • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services with photograph; or
    • Alien Resident Card from USCIS (Green Card).


  • Evidence of the appearing parent's sole authority to apply for the passport in the form of one of the following:
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
    • Child's birth certificate listing only applying parent; or
    • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent); or
    • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e. the absent parent has no access to the child. Child's travel must not be restricted by that order); or
    • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
    • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

Method of Application

You are required to apply for the passport in person.

The American Citizen Services unit is open to the public on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 09:00am – 11:00am.  An appointment is mandatory.

Our address is:

U.S. Consulate General
Consular Section/American Citizen Services
J.B. Gorsiraweg 1

Tel: +(599-9) 461-3066 (no visa information)
Fax: +(599-9) 461-6489 (no visa information)
Email: (no visa information)

Processing Time

An application for a full-validity (five years for children) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow 15 working days for the application to be processed.

If you are traveling within 15 working days and can provide evidence of this travel, you may be eligible for an emergency limited-validity passport.

Last updated: April 2014