Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Abandoning U.S. Permanent Residence

Last updated April 2011

Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407)

If you wish to abandon your permanent residence and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card or "Green Card", please download the I-407 Form and complete only those items that are highlighted in yellow.


You will need to complete the yellow-highlighted sections in form I-407 [PDF 624Kb], "Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence". Please note that this is a Form-Fill PDF format that allows you to type in the information prior to printing.

Supporting Documentation

  • Completed I-407
  • Note 1: Item 6(a) - Be sure to state your reasons for abandoning your permanent resident status;
  • Note 2: Item 6(d) - Do not write anything in this block.
  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
  • Note 3: If you don't have your permanent resident card (lost/stolen/misplaced), please explain in 6(b).
  • Your Permit to Re-Enter (I-327) (only if applicable)
  • G-28 - Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (only if applicable)

Special Note: Do not submit United States Social Security cards to this office.

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.

Last update January 2016

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.